Saturday, September 15, 2007

Week 2: Chiefs Pregame

Things I'll be watching for Week 2:

Maynard watch (Update): The Bears signed Dirk Johnson for Sunday's game. I wonder how impressed he is by Pat Mannelly. This is a big deal, Bears fans. The Bears D should be able to dominate the Chiefs offense, but if KC gets to play with a short field all day, anything could happen. On top of the field position implications, the fluke special teams play that turned the Chargers loss is still fresh in my mind. The 2006 team won with game-breaking special teams. Here's hoping 2007 isn't the exact opposite. Needless to say, without Maynard, I'll be biting my nails every time Robbie Gould or Kevin Payne lines up to punt.

Danieal Manning watch: We all know Mike Brown is a ball-hawk(1), the emotional leader, and a huge part of the Bears swarming D... I don't need to expound on that.
Super Bowl gaffe aside, I have confidence in D. Manning. I'll still watching closely this week, as safety could quickly become the weak point in this defense. We now have Manning's inexperience lining up next to the unproven Archuleta.... Chris Harris anybody? The good news is that the new-look secondary gets to jell against the aerially-challenged Chiefs offense.

O-line watch: Boy, they looked old last week. I know they only played one snap together in the preseason. But please, don't use that excuse when you told us all through camp that as veterans, you know when to turn it on. Was it the tough front 7 of San Diego? Let's hope so.

Things I'll be watching for in 2007 (running themes):

Corey Dillon watch: I do not like Cedric Benson. Please change my mind, Ced. Please.

Rex watch: I'll be keeping a tally of "Mental Midget" decisions (2), poor footwork, and panic attacks. Seriously, did you think I could blog about the Bears without mentioning Rex?

Notes:
(1) Mike Brown was about as close to Johnny On-the-Spot as I have ever seen. And we all know that Johnny On-the-Spot is the greatest football player of all-time.

(2) There has to be a more PC way of putting it, but man, what a hilarious and spot-on comment. I can promise you that if you are a Bears fan with any friends whatsoever, you have not heard the last of the term "mental midget."



No comments: